The hype behind the arrival of Star Wars: The Force Awakens merch is so insane right now, Disney has decided to make a holiday of it.
At midnight tonight, “Force Friday” begins, signalling the official start of a merchandising blitz for the ages. A ton of stores across the country will be opening their doors at 12:01 AM, offering your first opportunity to get a hold of Episode VII collectibles, toys, books, electronics, household goods, stationary, pet supplies, kitchen sinks, and who knows what else.
If you can’t make up your mind as to which store to go to, here’s what each participating retailer will be doing for Force Friday.
Keep in mind though that not every location will be running a midnight launch. You should definitely call ahead to check schedules and merch availability. Additionally, none of these stores have revealed their entire product catalog, so some may end up having exclusives we’re unaware of until the doors open.
- Participating stores will be giving away a free exclusive Star Wars poster. We have no idea what it looks like though, or whether or not you’ll need to make a purchase to get one.
- Certain stores will also be hosting giveaways, including ones for a “limited edition LEGO Star Wars Commemorative Brick.”
- The Toys”R”Us in Times Square in New York will be hosting a party later today, with giveaways, signings, and photo opps.
- Toys”R”Us will have an exclusive “Blue Trooper” 6″ Black Series figure.
- Toys”R”Us will have an exclusive “Legendary Yoda – Collector Box Edition.”
- Three Disney Store locations will be running midnight launches: New York in Times Square, Chicago on Michigan Avenue, and San Francisco on Stockton Street.
- The first 1,000 people through the door at these three locations will receive the Drew Struzan Force Awakens poster that was given out at D23 Expo. There are currently no plans to release this poster commercially, so this may very well be your last opportunity to nab one (outside of resellers of course).
- While only these three locations will be opening at midnight, a lot of them will be opening as early as 6:00 AM later that day.
- All Disney Store locations will be giving a commemorative Force Awakens pin to the first 100 guest who make a purchase. I haven’t been able to find confirmation on whether or not this pin is exclusive to Force Friday.
- There will also be activities for kids, and some kind of giveaway for free “vintage” Topps trading cards.
- If you can’t make it out to a physical store, DisneyStore.com will have the same merch available beginning on Friday, including “special Limited Edition product,” and free shipping on all Star Wars items through the 6th.
- 207 Target stores will be running a midnight launch. You can see which ones at Target.com/starwars.
- Certain Target locations will also have an exclusive Pop Figure: Unhooded Kylo Ren. This will not be exclusive to Force Friday, although it may sell out.
- Target has an exclusive remote controlled BB-8. It will retail for $80.
- Do note, this is not the Sphero-produced toy. That may or may not be released on Force Friday, and will likely retail around $150.
- Target is rumored to have an exclusive Black series 6″ two pack, but this has not been confirmed.
- Target has an exclusive Disney Infinity figure, Sabine Wren. This has been available for a while now though, so some stores are already sold out.
- If you text 827-438 with Force25 and Force10, you will get a $25 coupon off a $100+ purchase and a $10 coupon off a $50 purchase respectively. These coupons will be redeemable through September 12.
- Walmart will be the exclusive distributor of Galactic Connexions, some kind of tabletop game by Topps. Each customer (while supplies last) will receive a free two-pack of discs that are used in the game, including an exclusive one only available on Force Friday.
- If you pre-order Battlefront, you’ll get a $5 credit to use on Vudu. This offer will extend beyond Force Friday.
- Likewise, Walmart has an exclusive Disney Infinity figure, Kanan Jarrus. This has been available for a while now though, so some stores are already sold out.
- Walmart has two exclusive Pop Figures, a Sandtrooper/Dewback combo and a Jabba the Hutt/Slave Leia combo. Neither is from the Force Awakens set.
- You can find stores participating in the midnight launch here.
- If you can’t make it out to a store, Amazon has you covered. They’ll be offering currently unannounced deals on Star Wars items, including a few exclusives.
- So far, the only confirmed exclusive we know about is a Pop Figure: a First Order Stormtrooper variant.
- The Disney Parks will be holding midnight launches at the World of Disney store in Disneyland’s Downtown Disney, and Once Upon a Toy in Disney World’s Downtown Disney.
- In addition to general Force Awakens stuff, these two locations will also be the first place you can get your hands on new Star Wars parks merch.
- All attendees will receive a free, exclusive Force Awakens logo messenger bag.
- GameStop is not participating in the midnight launches, but will carry an exclusive Pop Figure: a Stormtrooper Finn variant without his helmet.
- Hot Topic is not participating in the midnight launches, but will carry an exclusive Pop Figure: a Rey variant.
- Walgreens is not participating in the midnight launches, but will carry four exclusive Pop Figures: a glow in the dark Yoda, a Snowtrooper, a Prototype Boba Fett, and an Imperial Guard.