Acttil and Elemental Labs have partnered up to announce a new PS4/PS3 title called Reborn. The Unreal engine game will be set in “Neo-Tokyo” in the year 2188, and will combine action elements with “the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of the classic RPGs.”
The sci-fi story will star a futuristic version of the legendary Japanese warrior Musashi Miyamoto.
“The people of Japan once embraced a life of spirituality and harmony with nature, but now they’re obsessed with technology, forcing it into every aspect of their lives, becoming willing slaves,” Elemental Labs wrote in a statement. “But some see the destruction of their culture, and rebel against the modern system. As Musashi, you will travel the streets of Neo-Tokyo, clashing with cyber-enhanced gangs and oppressive corporate overlords in your attempt to find ‘a better path.’”
The RPG elements will include “an experience and leveling system, progressive License Board, rare loot, and various character classes, and downloadable content (upon reaching higher stretch goals).”
The game will be funded via Kickstarter, with a $150,000 campaign set to begin next week. A fall 2014 release window is planned for the game.
You can view Elemental’s full description of the game below, we’ll update you when the Kickstarter campaign goes live.
Neo-Tokyo is shrouded in lies and corruption. A massive wall stands between the wealthy and the poor as Rena Nakano, cyborg and president of Nexus Roku Corporation, leads the country into darkness. Manufacturing augmentations for human beings, Nexus Roku promises an easier life. But by embedding chips into their patients and buying out those who would expose them, Nexus Roku is able to alter the behavioral patterns of society to be docile and compliant, giving Rena Nakano unrivaled power and control.
Once used to seal away the Tengu Demon Sōjōbō, Rena Nakano is in search for the ancient pearl in hopes that upon freeing Sōjōbō, he will grant her immortality as a reward. Within this societal turbulence, a handful of unlikely heroes find themselves leading the resistance not only to Rena Nakano’s greed, but perhaps saving the world from Sōjōbō, and ultimately death, altogether.
Based on the real historical swordsman, Musashi Miyamoto leads this group through a plot teeming with deceit, violence, love, betrayal and sacrifice against a backdrop inspired by traditional Japanese lore. Rich with philosophical themes and generous subtext, Reborn tells a tale that asks the question, “What is freedom without free will?”
- Real-time weapon-based 3D combat emphasizing well-timed combos, special attacks, and environmental interaction.
- Extensive RPG elements: find and equip a large variety of gear, access a License Board system allowing the player to choose new skills using the element-based Wu Xing system, and install “Augmentations” to further enhance your abilities.
- Futuristic Japan setting that blends a traditional, naturalistic feeling with advanced modern technology.
- Action-oriented story featuring an engaging, cool cast of characters and visually impressive environments.
- Reborn features four distinct gameplay pillars: Combat, Stealth, Augmentation and Social Perception.